U.S. Xpress, Inc. Lead Tractor Technician in Indianapolis, Indiana
Tests, services, and repairs tractors, trailers, engines, and related mechanical components. Serves as leader to other technicians.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Make certain all technicians under his lead are working safely.
- Test and repair electrical systems such as lighting, instrumentation, ignition, and electronic fuel injection.
- Disassembles and assembles equipment.
- Cleans tools and parts.
- Change tire and wheel assemblies.
- Discuss problems with other technicians to discover faults, listen to engines, fit and operate special test equipment, and test driver vehicles.
- Carry out minor body repairs and minor trim repairs.
- Repair or replace worn and faulty parts by removing assemblies such as engines, transmissions, differentials or steering gear or other small parts; dismantle them and check parts, referring to manuals as necessary.
- Reassemble, test, clean, and adjust repaired or replaced parts or assemblies; use various instruments to make sure they are working properly and put them back into the vehicle.
- Tune engines using special electronic equipment and make fine adjustments, e.g. to carburetors for smoother running.
- Diagnose, repair, and replace engine management/fuel injection components.
- Inspect vehicles and issue roadworthiness certificates or list the work required before a certificate can be issued.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a high school required.
- Minimum of 5 years progressive experience as a diesel mechanic required.
- Ability to work with all shop tools.
- Technical aptitude.
- Problem-solving skills.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Teamwork skills.
- OEM, Vendor, or Company Training required:
- PDI module.
- Air brakes module
- Suspensions & axles
- Brake Foundation parts
- Company Tire maintenance (basics on diagnosing alignment & pressure concerns)
- Company Wheel On/Off and Inspection process
- Basic electricity/volts, ohms, and amps
- Basic electricity/terms
- Pro-link training for trip data info and reset requirements.
- Completed Freightliner Century Class Electronics
- Using a Digital Multimeter
- Pro-link for parameters
- r Autoshift (CD with test/Eaton)
- ABS/ATC theory (Meritor)
- Detroit Diesel Diagnostic Link
- Service Ranger
- Freightliner Training required:
- Dawn of the Century
- Secondary Air
- Cool it components
- Cool it fundamentals
- Service Link
- Fault code retrieval (all ECU’s)
- Basic electricity/symbols and diagrams
- Basic electricity/magnetism
- Data link theory (J1587 & J1939)
- Cummins Institute
- Understanding of corporate tire program.
- Driver’s license essential.
Physical Requirements: while performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to talk or hear; frequently stands, walks, uses hands to finger, handle or feel; and reaches with hands and arms.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time supporting full body weight
- Ability to walk 1000 feet minimum and change positions frequently
- Ability to frequently move shoulders with full range of motion in all six planes of movement
- Ability to reach heights over 72” frequently; ability to crouch to height of 18” frequently
- Ability to reach and stretch across the midline with full cervical range of motion and bilateral range of motion
- Ability to use hand tools constantly for extended periods of time
- Ability to stoop to 30” minimum and kneel to 18” minimum
- Ability to frequently climb 51’ with one 24” step and pull full body weight.
- Ability to frequently climb stairs 24” without a hand hold rail.
- Ability to pull self up ladder with 4x17”steps with upper body pull.
- Ability to constantly go in/out of truck on 51” and one 24” step pulling full body weight.
- Ability to frequently go up and down ramp.
- Ability to occasionally push 250 lbs, pull 125 lbs, frequently push/pull 100/50 lbs and constantly push/pull 50/25 lbs.
- Ability to occasionally carry, lift overhead, high, low and medium lift 51/75 lbs, frequently 50/21 lbs and constantly 20/1 lbs.
*Must be able to perform all physical requirements with reasonable accommodation.
Work Environment:this job operates in a well-lit and well-ventilated repair shop environment.
Humidity or Wet conditions (non-weather-related)
Extreme Cold (non-weather-related)
Extreme Heat (non-weather-related)
Moving Mechanical Parts
Risk of Electrical Shock or Radiation
High or Precarious places
Fumes or Airborne Particules
Toxic, Caustic Chemicals or Hazardous Waste
Outdoor Weather Conditions
Work with Explosives
Date Posted: 09 / 06 / 2018
Requisition Number: 11180
Shift: Weekend - Days
Full/Part Time Status: Full Time