Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Staff Physician (General Cardiology - Non Invasive) in Indianapolis, Indiana
The Indianapolis VA Medical Center is actively seeking a full-time Non-Invasive General Cardiologist with experience in treating patients with congestive heart failure. Candidate must also be committed to teach medical students, residents, and fellows. A BC/BE Heart Failure Cardiologist with academic qualifications suitable for a faculty appointment at IUSM is desired. Duties include on-call, staffing cardiac intensive care unit, and outpatient follow-up.
Learn more about this agency
Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Staff Cardiologists are ultimately responsible for the oversight of all aspects of cardiac medical care delivered to patients under their care.
- Staff Cardiologists provide or assist fellows, residents, students and/or nurse practitioners in the process of evaluation and treatment of the patient, and actively participate in corrective actions against untoward responses to medical interventions.
- Staff Cardiologists evaluate the patient to assess changes in the physical and mental status during their stay. A history and physical note, with the appropriate level of detail, will be entered into the medical record along with an assessment and plan for acute and ongoing care as well as discharge planning.A progress note is written in the patient's chart daily.Notes also include the concurrence with notes written by the fellow, resident, student or Nurse Practitioner, and attending notes as appropriate, in a manner consistent with the VA guidelines for resident and trainee supervision.
- Staff Cardiologists perform inpatient medical evaluations and treatment, as well as provide consultative services to non-medicine services in a timely manner.
- During scheduled tour hours, Staff Cardiologists shall be available for all urgent assessments and interventions as part of the inpatient care team.Evening and/or night call may be required as determined by service needs.
- Staff Cardiologists are appropriately credentialed and privileged.They participate in various hospital committees, Medicine Service and hospital in-service programs, and education programs of the Medicine Service and the hospital.They are also involved in continuous quality improvement through the VA peer review process.
- Staff Cardiologists shall be responsible for graduate and undergraduate medical education, and scientific research as appropriate. Work Schedule: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. with rotating weekends and holidays Financial Disclosure Report:Not required
- #### Job family (Series)
0602 Medical Officer
Conditions of Employment
- United States Citizenship Required; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy
- Designated and/or random drug testing required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination
Basic Requirements: * United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy. * Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed. * Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia. * Completion of residency training, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification. * Proficiency in spoken and written English. * Physical requirements outlined below. Preferred Experience: * BE/BC Heart Failure Cardiologist * Experience in treating patients with Congestive Heart Failure Reference:VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Physical Requirements: Heavy Lifting (45 lbs and over); Heavy Carrying (45 lbs and over); Straight Pulling (up to 4 hours); Pushing (1 - 2 hours); Reaching above shoulder; Use of fingers; Both hands required; Walking (up to 8 hours); Standing (up to 8 hours); Repeated bending (up to 4 hour); Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; Near vision correctable at 13" to 16"; Hearing (aid permitted).
Note:Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits associated with a VA practice: VHA physician brochure.
Annual leave shall accrue for full-time physicians at the rate of 26 days per leave year (1 day per pay period).
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Veterans and Transitioning Service Members: Please visit the VA for Vets site for career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at VA, career development services for our existing Veterans, and coaching and reintegration support for military service members.
If you are unable to apply online view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.Your application, résumé, C.V., and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment.
NOTE:Applicant's education and length of practice (experience) will be considered by a Compensation Panel in determining the salary of the applicant selected. The recommended salary may be at any point in the range listed for this vacancy.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Background checks and security clearance
Public Trust - Background Investigation
Drug test required
- Required Documents
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes (upload C.V. as resume document type):
VA Form 10-2850 - Application for Physicians, Dentists, Podiatrists, Optometrists & Chiropractors can be found at: http://www.va.gov/vaforms/searchaction.asp?FormNo=2850&tkey;=&Action;=Search. Required at the time of application.
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklistto ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50's, etc.
- Cover Letter
- Professional Certifications/Licensures
- VBA Disability Rating
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
All applicants are encouraged to apply online. To apply for this position, you must complete the full questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below. The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (ET) on 10/12/2018 to receive consideration.
- To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USA JOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire.
- Click Submit My Answers to submit your application package.
NOTE: It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date.
To verify your application is complete, log into your USA JOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Status link and then select the more information link for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process. To return to an incomplete application, log into your USA JOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USA JOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
Agency contact information
(317) 988-2260 X82260
Richard L Roudebush VA Medical Center 1481 West Tenth Street Indianapolis, IN 46202 US
Learn more about this agency
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USA Jobs account and clicking on Applications. Information regarding your application status can be found in the USAJobs Help Center.
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/510723800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 09/13/2018 to 10/12/2018
Pay scale & grade: VM 00
Salary: $103,395 to $348,000 per year
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full-Time